Advocates lost their exclusive rights of audience in probate and divorce cases when the Crown took these matters over from the church in 1857, and in Admiralty cases in 1859. The Society of Advocates was never formally wound up, but its building was sold off in 1865 and the last advocate died in 1912.
The Advocate was a newspaper in Pittsburgh, published under several title variants from 1832 to 1844. It was the second daily newspaper issued in the city, the first being its eventual purchaser, the Gazette. Politically, the paper supported the principles of the Whig Party.
On 13 August 1832,The Pennsylvanian Advocate was started by James Wilson (paternal grandfather of U.S. President Woodrow Wilson), then of Steubenville, Ohio. He announced in his prospectus that he would promote protectionism, internal improvements, a sound currency, the independence of Congress and the preservation of the Union, which, at that time, was threatened by a faction in South Carolina and elsewhere in the South. Important to all of these missions, the editor believed, was to defeat the re-election of President Andrew Jackson.
The first few issues were printed on a weekly basis at Steubenville and sent to Pittsburgh for distribution. Very soon, Wilson had a press set up in a Pittsburgh office and began turning out a thrice-weekly edition. According to William Bayard Hale, the press was the first west of the Allegheny Mountains that could print a double-page form (one side of a whole sheet) at one impression.